Monday 20 February 2012

review: Bayern Dragon's Breath Dark Heff Ale

Today's beer adventure: Bayern Dragon's Breath Dark Heff Ale. 6.0% ABV (the website actually lists it at 5.6% as well as 6.0%). 355ml Bottle. Served in pint glass. Purchased during our trip to Plentywood. ~$2.00/bottle.

The pour is a dark chocolate brown haze. Small amount of head. Moderate lacing. Nose is of caramel, lots of malt, dark dried fruit, red wine? bananas? Light carbonation.

Flavour is what one would think it might be..a very malty hefeweizen. Wheat, malt, raisiny sweetness, bananas again, alcohol. Mouthfeel is very creamy and enjoyable. The carbonation is interesting in that the bubbles are very small, making it feel a touch "sparkly" on the tongue. Slight bitter finish.

Rating is 7.75/10 dogs.  Neat beer. I really enjoyed this..I kinda wish I didn't have to split the sixer with Derek! :)

What other people think: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/605/49354

3 comments:

  1. 'allo cock!

    I will gladly trade you my two remaining Dragon's Breaths for two Ranger India Pale Ale's (New Belgium) and/or the Red Chair NWPA.

    The Breath IS good. I also tasted the fruit/raisin. Reminded me of some Belgian Trappist beer...but I can't put my finger (tongue?) on the name. However, I think I dig the IPAs a bit more. So, if you want, let's trade.

    You realize we are basically 13 year old boys trading cards or comics or some other such geeky thing at this point, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoooo..maybe the Red Chair..I haven't had the Ranger yet! Dont' get ahead of me!!! :)
    Love the Red Chair though..need to review it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you consider trading two Dragon's Breath for one of each of Ranger and Red Chair? Or Bent Nail?

    ReplyDelete