Wednesday 1 February 2012

review: Raftman Belgian Pale Ale

From January 18, 2012:


Tonight's beer adventure: Raftman from Unibroue. 5.5% ABV. Bottled. Served in Big Rock stein. Should have been served in a tulip glass - but I don't have one so shut up. Bought at SLGA. $6.00 for 700ml bottle.

Pour is orangey-amber with a THICK, rocky, soapy white head. This a LOT of head...almost 3 fingers worth. Aroma is similar to many Belgian Ales..orange, coriander, yadda yadda,

This beer claims to be brewed with a smoky, whisky malt, but that is really well down in the flavour. Lots of bready, somewhat orangey flavours..this seems to be a Unibroue thing...maybe it is the yeast?

Overall, this is an enjoyable brew, and I was looking well forward to it, but it really didn't deliver the goods that I thought it might. One other reviewer thought it might benefit from a higher ABV to balance it out a bit, and they might be right? I have to say I have enjoyed other offerings from Unibroue more, such as Blanche De Chambly and Maudite. I'll buy it again, but not often. 7/10.



http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22/793

No comments:

Post a Comment